In 1950, there were 16,163 children enrolled in Fairfax County Public Schools (FCPS). By 1960 that number would climb to 59,870. The Springfield area was a magnet for population growth in the early 1950s, leading to overcrowding at Garfield and North Springfield elementary schools. Because the population growth was primarily driven by the growing size of the federal government, the United States Congress allocated financial aid to FCPS to assist with school construction. In October 1954, the Fairfax County School Board acquired a contract for 10.6 acres of land in the new Lynbrook residential subdivision. One month later, the School Board applied for Federal Aid to build a 10-classroom school on the Lynbrook site at an estimated cost of $300,000. Plans for the school were drawn up by the architecture firm of Dixon and Norman, and in December 1955 the construction contract was awarded to the L. R. Broyhill Construction Company in the amount of $489,373. The additional cost was due to an increase in the number of classrooms, from 10 to 16, and the addition of a library, clinic, cafeteria and kitchen, office suite, four toilets, and book storage rooms.
In June 1956, the Washington Post reported that the Fairfax County School Board entered into contracts to rent four houses in the North Springfield area, and Sunday school rooms in several Springfield area churches, for use as classrooms until the construction of Lynbrook Elementary School was complete. The 1956-57 school year began with 38,500 students enrolled in FCPS, and construction of Lynbrook, contracted for completion in December 1956, was behind schedule.
Designed with a capacity of 480 students, Lynbrook Elementary School was overcrowded on the day it opened. More than 500 students entered Lynbrook on that first day, February 11, 1957. Twelve classrooms of students moved over from Garfield Elementary, and four more from the rented homes in North Springfield. Our first principal was Ida B. Auerbach. The cafeteria opened to students on February 12, and Lynbrook’s P.T.A. worked during and after school to set up the library.
When Lynbrook Elementary School opened, public schools in Fairfax County were segregated by race. Integration was a slow process beginning in 1960, and culminated at the start of the 1965-66 school year. Only white children from the surrounding community were admitted to Lynbrook when it opened. Back then, Fairfax County was far less racially and ethnically diverse than it is today. There were few African-American children living in the immediate vicinity. The diversity we embrace today developed slowly during the 1970s and 1980s.